Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Zucchini and Yellow Squash "Spaghetti"

I bought a small handheld Spiralizer after my friend Helen raved about hers and have been using it for almost every meal.  (I've actually gotten so addicted to using it, I got an even bigger and better kind on sale that has a crank!)  I've been using it to add vegetables to pasta (using the smaller size setting) with either tomato or olive oil based sauces that I've come up with that have been delicious.  However, since pasta is a heavy food, I decided to just make dinner using vegetable "noodles" in place of spaghetti.

And I'm glad I did.

I made this simple and rustic peasant style dish last night, which took about 5 minutes to make.  I used the larger size setting of the Spiralizer to get the look of spaghetti.  I used a large zucchini and a small yellow squash, which was perfect as a side, but if you have this as your entree, I would suggest using two of each type of squash.  If you're lucky, you'll have some leftovers the next day for lunch!




The ingredients:

zucchini and yellow squash, spiralized
minced garlic
olive oil
salt
pepper
lemon juice from one lemon
1/4 cup of dry white wine
Korean pepper flakes, for garnish


In a high rimmed saute pan, heat a tablespoon of oil (or more, depending on the amount of vegetables you use) on medium high heat.  When the oil streams, add the zucchini and squash and stir to coat.  Cook for a few minutes, stirring often, until the "noodles" are somewhat pliable, making sure they don't wilt.  Add desired amount of salt and pepper and combine.  Lower the heat to medium and add the minced garlic, sauteing for about 30 seconds, until the smell of garlic is at its strongest.  (There will be liquid in the pan from the vegetables, which will keep the garlic from burning and add moisture.)

Add 1/4 cup more of olive oil, stirring gently.  When the oil begins to bubble, stir as you add the lemon juice and wine to the pan, which will create a sauce.  The liquid mixture will thicken a little, cooking the "noodles" to the point that they are cooked to al dente.  The flavors will permeate through as you combine with the sauce. 

To serve, pile a mound of the noodles onto a large plate, adding as much sauce on top as needed.  To finish it off, I sprinkled a little Korean pepper flakes on top, for a little added flavor and color.

When the "noodles" were gone, I soaked up what sauce remained on my plate with a slice of bread, which ended up making this the most perfect, most satisfying meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment