Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review: Kickass Cupcakes, Somerville, MA

I thought this would be a great place to go if I need to have a quick sugar fix.  Their cupcakes look tasty and they make a good presentation.  Their flavors are varied as well.  My birthday was coming up and I was having a dinner with my family to celebrate.  I stumbled upon this store in Harvard Yard, where they sell them from a big truck.  I had read reviews online, some good, some bad.  So I tempted fate and ordered 5 of them, vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting.  I told them to make it a birthday theme.  (They put varied colored crystal sprinkles on top, along with tiny "happy birthday" signs and each had a candle.  Very cute.)  I was feeling good, and very excited about having them with my family.  They were to be ready to pick up the following afternoon.

I went by the same day to try one, just to have a taste test.  I wanted to go out for a walk anyway, so I figured it was a good idea.  It's a small bakery just outside of Davis Square, and there were 2 other people there at the same time, so it was awkward to move around.  I ordered a vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting, walked out, ate it in two bites, then thought, "Wait a minute!  I just paid $3 for 2 bites?"  I thought it was good, but not $3 good, especially since they were so small.

When I picked up the cupcakes the next day, it cost me over $16.  Everyone liked them at my birthday dinner, but they weren't "knock the ball out of the park" good.  I thought they were stale and bland.  I doubt that there will ever come another time when I'll spend $3 on a cupcake.

If you want to try a cupcake worthy of your $3, go somewhere else. 

I give Kickass Cupcakes 1 star. *

No comments:

Post a Comment